New York, NY
We’re looking for a Corporate Counsel to play a central role in growing Enigma into the leading data technology company. You will structure and negotiate partnerships with strategic partners and vendors, and lead legal support for a wide range of other legal matters including data privacy, IP, corporate governance and compliance, real estate, and employment. Based out of our Flatiron New York City headquarters, you will have immediate impact with your analytic rigor, uncanny judgment, clear communications, and comfort mastering new areas of law.
If you are entrepreneurial by nature and love a challenging, team-focused and fast-paced environment, this is the place for you.
- Draft, structure, negotiate, and interpret commercial contracts governing large-scale relationships with Fortune 500 companies, strategic partners, and vendors.
- Develop forms, templates, and playbooks to standardize and streamline Enigma’s commercial contracting.
- Proactively provide legal advice to technical and business development teams on intellectual property, data privacy, risk management, product development, monetization of assets, and go-to-market strategies.
- Develop, implement, and improve corporate and contract compliance policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Keep informed of industry-specific regulations, and anticipate and mitigate potential issues to reduce potential areas of risk.
- Support corporate governance and administration, including preparing Board of Director materials and corporate resolutions, and administering corporate records.
- Advise management with respect to the legal implications of all major decisions, strategies and transactions of the company.
Who you are:
- 8+ years experience practicing law related to corporate, commercial, or technology transactions, including large law firm experience and at least 3 years in-house at one or more top technology companies.
- Significant commercial contracts experience, specifically leading legal review of commercial contracts in support of sales and business development.
- Experience with IP and technology issues sufficient to help the business structure relationships with customers, partners and vendors and protect future revenue streams throughout the world.
- Experience working on data privacy (including EU regulations), information security, and other risk and compliance issues in pursuit of applicable certifications (i.e., SOC) a plus.
- Familiarity with employment law and experience handling corporate human resource legal issues a plus.
- Proven ability to balance legal risk vs. reward in an entrepreneurial context and articulate tradeoffs to business partners while simultaneously ensuring Enigma’s legal obligations are met.
- Track record of establishing strong working relationships with senior executives and guiding their business decisions in light of legal considerations.
Enigma is a rapidly growing enterprise technology company based in the Flatiron neighborhood of New York City. We are Series B funded, partnering with some of the best investors in the world: New Enterprise Associates, Two Sigma Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Crosslink Capital, American Express Ventures, and others.
Founded in 2012, Enigma was started based on the realization that there was tremendous potential in using public data to understand how the world works, but that it was untapped because the data is highly fragmented and disconnected. Enigma set out to change that by building and organizing one of the largest collections of public data in the world, and our big coming out party was winning TechCrunch Disrupts Battlefield in 2013. Our vision has remained steadfast, we want to empower people to interpret, and improve, the world around them. However, we have expanded our ability to realize this vision by combining our massive public data repository with an ecosystem of software and tools designed to link, resolve, enhance and apply data to help global-scale companies take on some of their hardest problems, ranging from preventing money laundering to ensuring patient safety.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.