The Data Team ingests, transforms, enriches and connects data from all over the world. We build the core platforms and tools that allow Enigma to handle and link this large and varied data, resulting in unique, high-impact products that are opening whole new markets for our clients. Our work requires a combination of engineering knowledge, a desire to learn and understand modern machine learning techniques and an appreciation of the ability of data to empower people and businesses.
You will be responsible for building Enigma's data platform. You will utilize your engineering experience and knowledge alongside other specialists in order to build state of the art systems for knowledge graph generation. You’ll have the chance to use your creativity to help craft technology to solve real-world data challenges as you work collaboratively with highly skilled and passionate people to design these systems, as well as continually learning and improving your skills.
While you are excited by ground breaking methods, your fascination with these technologies does not distract you from straightforward solutions when applicable. Not least, you share our enthusiasm for using public data to support better decisions at all levels of government and enterprise.
You are versed in backend development and demonstrate proficiency in software design. You are judicious in choosing technology for a task, and habitually lead by example and provide peer mentorship.
Position is open at different levels of experience. Compensation packages will reflect skills, proficiency, experience and background. We value clear, functional and well documented code.
What we look for:
- Deep understanding of the Apache Spark distributed processing system
- Proficiency in Python and related data manipulation packages
- Experience in designing and building data processing services or products
- Treatment of code as a craft; problem solving with determination, perseverance and grit
- Strong work ethic and interpersonal skills
- Passionate about public data
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter with ability to multi-task, manage time effectively and continuously learn
- Experience with any of the following is desirable: entity resolution, natural language processing, information retrieval, graph databases
- Exposure to machine learning principles, and/or experience in data munging, frameworks for creation of training datasets is preferred
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Enigma is a rapidly growing team based in the Flatiron neighborhood of New York City. We are Series B funded startup backed by an amazing roster of investors including NEA Ventures, Two Sigma Ventures, American Express Ventures, and The New York Times Company.