Data Scientist, Envoy
New York, NY
At Enigma we are passionate about the transformative power of data and about crafting the next generation of technology to unlock this potential. Data is fundamental to everything we do, and our data scientists are essential to the company's success. We are looking for talented and motivated Data Scientists to join our Envoy Team.
The Envoy Data Science Team:
The mission of the Envoy Data Science team is to discover, demonstrate, and deliver insights for Enigma's customers. The data problems that we solve are uncommonly fascinating and diverse. As a member of the team, you'll improve industries ranging from finance to pharmaceuticals to manufacturing, and you'll collaborate with journalists and public agencies. Whether working with the world's broadest collection of public data or with our customers' own repositories, you will be focused on the human problems that motivate technical challenges.
As a Data Scientist your contributions will have significant impact on the success of client engagements and product innovations. You’ll bring quantitative rigor and acuity to complex data tasks, quickly delivering thorough and reliable analysis and code. Your data experience and intuition allow you to work autonomously, but you also love collaboration and are generous with your time for colleagues and customers alike. You have a command of data science fundamentals, but you understand that communication is as important as technical know-how; you can talk in both stories and numbers. You are motivated by business challenges and you recognize that success is ultimately about solving people problems, not technology problems. You dream about algorithms and are obsessed with metrics. While you are excited by cutting-edge methods, your fascination with innovative technology does not distract you from straightforward solutions when appropriate. Not least, you share our enthusiasm for using public data to support better decisions at all levels of enterprise and government.
What we look for:
- A master's in a quantitative discipline, or equivalent experience and depth of knowledge via data-intensive roles
- At least 2 years of professional experience in a data science role with tangible outcomes
- Excellent communication skills, oral, written, and visual
- Entrepreneurial initiative and customer-centric perspective
- Highly motivated and autonomous
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with multi-functional teams
- Creative and versatile problem-solving skills
- Attention-to-detail balanced with an ability to prioritize diverse tasks
- Statistics: strong practical skills and solid theoretical foundation - you can apply the appropriate method for a given problem, and you can communicate your reasons for doing so
- Modeling: solid knowledge of practice and theory - you can implement and optimize appropriate methods for diverse problems, and you can support your choices of machine learning algorithms
- Analytical programming - proficient with libraries for cleaning, reshaping, exploring, and visualizing data; 2+ years of Python preferred
- Experience with any of the following is desirable: entity resolution, probabilistic record linkage, information retrieval, graph databases, data integration, predictive analytics
Enigma is a rapidly growing enterprise technology company based in the Flatiron neighborhood of New York City. We are Series B funded, partnering with some of the best investors in the world: New Enterprise Associates, Two Sigma Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Crosslink Capital, American Express Ventures, and others.
Founded in 2012, Enigma was started based on the realization that there was tremendous potential in using public data to understand how the world works, but that it was untapped because the data is highly fragmented and disconnected. Enigma set out to change that by building and organizing one of the largest collections of public data in the world, and our big coming out party was winning TechCrunch Disrupts Battlefield in 2013. Our vision has remained steadfast, we want to empower people to interpret, and improve, the world around them. However, we have expanded our ability to realize this vision by combining our massive public data repository with an ecosystem of software and tools designed to link, resolve, enhance and apply data to help global-scale companies take on some of their hardest problems, ranging from preventing money laundering to ensuring patient safety.